Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Therese Stodomingo aka TSTO

Hello!

      My name is Therese Stodomingo and I am a Filipino American artist.  Being born in the Philippines and migrating to the United States at the impressionable age of ten years old has given me an insight into the impact of cultural expectations, societal roles and economic status has on individuals.  The differences between the Western world and Eastern culture also fascinate me.  I choose to photograph everyday people in not so every day settings to provide a commentary on their humanistic characteristic and their surroundings. The women in my works are portrayed with strength, ability, and the juxtaposition of the feminine body versus a more masculine "hard" environment.  I am inspired by feminist artists such as Ana Mendieta and Louise Bourgeois.

      My paintings are of expressive abstract quality and are my avenue of emotional and mental release.  I was fortunate to work as an assistant this summer to abstract painter Denyse Thomasos and became inspired by her talent,ideas on travel, theories on culture, and methods of abstraction.  Her love of color and passion for life is what resonates with me the most.  I plan to apply to graduate school for a Master's degree in Art Education upon completion of my Bachelor's degree next year.  I am looking forward to the upcoming semester and learning more about the development of Modern Art!


My latest photographic work is entitled: "Eve and Eve" and was inspired by the following work:


Ana Mendieta Tree of Life

No comments:

Post a Comment