Sunday, September 9, 2012




Homeless Man #1 Charcoal on paper 9in. x 12in.  
Hi everyone, my name is Rob and I am currently a junior at Rutgers University studying for a B.F.A. in Graphic Design. I started drawing as a young boy and have always enjoyed creating. I think that is what may come natural to an artist. The process and the satisfaction of creating art. Whether its drawing, painting, sculpting, and all other forms of media. My parents were art lovers and therefore I was always surrounded by artwork and paintings up on our walls that I would examine as a kid. My fathers best friend was an artist named Savo Radulovic and his artwork greatly influenced me in pursuing art as a profession even though I already new its what I wanted to do and loved doing. One of my goals is to work in the graphic design field but I would also like to continue painting, drawing, and working in other forms of media because I enjoy it so much and its what I love, and possibly getting my work into a gallery. The image is one I did of a Homeless man sleeping at a train station.  Art and the history of art is so important in the work that I do and you cannot help but be influenced by previous artists and the historical events that occurred during different movements. Art itself is influenced by culture and the societies that they come. 


William Kentridge is a good example of this. He has been a big influence on me and is one of my favorite contemporary artists. He is from South Africa and alot of his work is influenced from the society in South Africa and Apartheid. One of his pieces titled, "Casspirs Full of Love" displays the social injustice that went on in South Africa. It shows a box or case of disembodied heads that represent the native south africans who were being oppressed while protesting in some cases being slaughtered. Casspirs were vehicles that were used in South Africa to combat protesters and rioters.  Here is a link where you can view this piece.

William Kentridge 

www.moma.org › Explore › The Collection

William Kentridge

 

1 comment: