Friday, September 7, 2012

Dorothea Lange. Migrant Mother. 1936. Gelatin silver print
The Impact of Art: My Story and Social Change
Princess Hickmond

As an upcoming multimedia artist, I focus on drawing attention to the simple, unappreciated aspects of beauty and utilizing my talents as a tool of personal expression, and eventually, social change.  I plan to present my acquired knowledge in both my artistic and scholarly works.  I also hope to find a way to unite all of my current interests. I love the idea of beautification and creation more than any specific career field; this makes it difficult to focus on one specific field of work. Consequently, I intend to use my passion for art and writing and somehow integrate them with my love of horticulture, foreign languages, cosmetology, drama, fashion, and marketing. However, I am certain that my professional journey will begin with graphic design, and will end with me being a sixty year old professor in Design or Horticulture. I hope that my work and teaching will assist in halting social issues of our time. However, evoking social change is vital for anyone, regardless of their career field. Artists tend to present their standpoint regarding societal and politic issues through their artwork. Dorothea Lange is one of many renowned photographers who used her work to combat societal conditions of her time.

During the Great Depression, Dorothea Lange was a part of the Farm Security Administration (FSA) along with other photojournalists like Walker Evans. The FSA was responsible for assisting in improving the state of living for farmers who were affected by the Great Depression. She took photographs of unemployed workers, displaced migrant farmers, and vice versa. Her works, like Migrant Mother, showcased the nobility and yet the sorrow of these waylaid workers. As a result, the government was more inclined to assist the struggling men and women. Lange continued to document other events before her health declined. The influence of artists like Lange motivate me; they makes me want to be more conscious regarding the societal conditions around me and figuring out how I can help change them. I've actually made a few works regarding Domestic Labor last semester.

1 comment:

  1. It is interesting to bring up Lange. Aside from being an incredible and enormously popular image maker, her example is one of artist and activist. Although unconventionally, her work commented on and caused social change. Great example.

    ReplyDelete